Frequently Asked Questions

What does it cost to fly Club aircraft?

The Club does not rent its aircraft. The aircraft are owned by the membership of the Eagle Sport Aviation Club. Therefore, you are operating an aircraft that you own. All aircraft rates are set by the club members and represent actual operating cost. Our current operating costs are available here.

As an aircraft owner you are expected to perform all of the normal duties of an aircraft owner such as cleaning the windshield before you fly, cleaning the aircraft after you land, and fueling the aircraft to name a few. These and other daily routines help the club to operate both efficiently and cost effective.

Do I have to be an Aeronautical Science student or have a pilots certificate to join the Club?

No. Anyone can join the Eagle Sport Aviation Club. Many engineering and business students learn to fly without any previous flight experience. There are many members that have joined for their interest in the glider and light sport airplane operation.

What is the difference between the "Eagle Sport Aviation Club" and the "Sport Aviation Club at ERAU"?

The Sport Aviation Club at ERAU is an official student Club of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. The student Club does not own the aircraft. The aircraft are owned by the membership of the Eagles Sport Aviation Club, Inc. ESA is a Florida registered not-for-profit 501 (c) (7) organization and was formed to own the aircraft, manage all operations but also support the student club.

Do I have to be a member of the ESA club to fly?

Prospective members can take an introductory flight to see if they are interested in our organization before joining as a full member. Other than introductory flights, you must be a member of the organization which will make you a part owner/operator and allow you to operate qualified aircraft that the ESA club maintains.

What does it cost to join the Eagles Club?

There is a one-time membership fee of $500. Students who are current enrolled in an undergradute degree program receive an additional discout. Our current operating costs are available here.

How much does instruction cost in the club?

Instruction for any soaring activity is free of charge and provided through your fellow club members/instructors. Instructors in the Pitts and Cub are given the option to charge for instruction due to their commitment and training to accomplish such positions.

Are there any hidden fees?

There are some additional fees depending upon what type of activities you do in the Club.

If you are participating in the glider operations you must be a member of the Soaring Society of America (SSA). The Club is in a partnership with the SSA that allows us to enjoy reduced group policy insurance costs and added member benefits.

If you are participating in any aerobatic contest you must be a member of the International Aerobatic Club (IAC), a subdivision of Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA). While ESA has no direct affiliation with the IAC we adopted common policies, procedures, and guidelines for our own aerobatic operations.

If you are a student, all three of these organizations offer youth discounts on membership. On top of all of the benefits from these organizations, the Club believes that these are best aviation organizations around and we are happy to be their partners.

What airplane can I fly solo?

As a Club member you have the opportunity to fly any of our aircraft as the PIC (Pilot In Command) providing you meet the Club standards for that aircraft. The standards vary quite a bit for different makes and models. Here is a summary of some of the standards:

Pitts Possibly. Only Pitts Aerobatic instructors are authorized for solo flights. This position requires a lot of flight, tailwheel, aerobatic, and high performance experience.
Cubs YES! The PIC checkout requirements are listed in the tailwheel section. We will provide tailwheel endorsements as well as rental/solo/PIC checkouts and promote new tailwheel instructors. Minimum age: 16 years
Pawnee Yes! The checkout requirements are listed in the tow pilot section. You must have a commercial ASEL rating and high performance endorsement. The training includes ground and supervised flight training with a written test. A glider tow endorsement is issued. Minimum age: 18 years
Gliders YES! The checkout requirements are listed in the soaring section. All solo checkouts require ground and flight training and a written test is required. Minimum age: 14 years

Can I get more information on the structure and rules of the Club?

You can (and should) download and read our By Laws.

Club Training

Light Sport LSA Pilot & LSA Instructor
Glider Private, Commercial, Certificated Flight Instructor
Endorsements Tailwheel, Glider tow, Spin, High Performance
Other Primary, sportsman, intermediate category aerobatic training, formation flying, cross country soaring

Can I deduct donations made to ESA form my taxes?

Yes, ESA is a nonprofit eductional organization under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. A donation receipt is issued for all donations for your records and proof of the donation.